The Black Oak story began almost 30 years ago growing up around various cattle breeds on my parents farm and spending my school holidays helping at my uncle and aunty’s Simmental stud, preparing the cattle for shows.
There is something about being around and breeding stud cattle that just gets in your blood, its infectious, and with the right timing and few strokes of luck we found ourselves the perfect property on the Sunshine Coast hinterland.
After researching many breeds we couldn’t go past the temperament, visual appeal, fast growth and domestic beef product of the Squares.
For those new to the breed, Square Meaters are the Australian beef cattle breed developed in the 1990s by cattleman Rick Pisaturo. They have gentle temperaments, are fast growing, well-muscled with high fertility, low birth weight calves and the genetic ability to gain weight fast on both grass and grain.
In late 2014, we visited a number of studs in South East Queensland and were lucky enough to secure some great girls, including our herd matriarch Vesco Xtra Special, from Jo van Elten at Vesco Square Meaters and Bevan & Dawn Voight at Warrill Creek.
Stud Breeding Philosophy
There is lots to be said for keeping things simple and our philosophy at Black Oak Square Meaters reflects this:
- Great cows produce great bulls
- Select true to type cows who are excellent mothers with abundant milk
- Consistently produce medium framed cattle that are deep, thick and heavily muscled
- Pursue well balanced grey colour coats with with dark pigment
- Breed for the gentlest of temperaments
- All breeding animals are show quality
- Cattle produce and perform better when you are in harmony with nature